Colorado Licensure

To be considered for employment, you must hold a current Colorado Teaching License, Special Services Provider License, or Administrative License, or be in the process of applying for it. Information concerning Colorado licensing may be obtained by contacting one of the following:

Educator Licensing Unit
Colorado Department of Education
201 E. Colfax Avenue

Denver, CO 80203
(303) 866-6628 

The CDE Regional Licensing Center
University of Colorado - Colorado Springs
Columbine Hall - Third Floor
School of Education
PO Box 7150
Colorado Springs, CO 80933-7150
(719) 262-4099

Educator Effectiveness

The Board recognizes that the instructional process is extremely complex, and that appraisal of the process is a difficult function. It also recognizes that sound appraisal of teaching performance is critical to achieving the educational goals of the school system.

An important indicator of the effectiveness and efficiency of schools lies in the quality of the district staff. To this end, the District has adopted the Colorado Model Evaluation System for evaluating school professionals. Examples of the current evaluation documents can be found here.

Questions regarding specific Lewis-Palmer Procedures may be addressed to the Human Resources Department via email.

English Learner Professional Development Information

To help better support students in Colorado who are English language learners, the State Board of Education adopted new rules in June 2018 requiring educators with elementary, math, science, social studies and English language arts endorsements to complete Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CLD) Education training or professional development (PD). Educators holding these endorsements must meet the new licensing requirement:

  • Within their next five-year license renewal period

    • (For example, teachers holding a professional license that expires in September 2018 would need to meet the requirements by September 2023.)

  • Only once over the course of their professional licensure as a teacher in Colorado.

For more information regarding this requirement and resources available for compliance, visit The English Learner Professional Development page.