Basketball - Boys
2018 Letter to Middle School Athletes and Parents
Welcome all 2018 Lewis-Palmer Middle School boys’ basketball players and parents! Thank you for making the decision to participate this season. We are looking forward to the upcoming season and have an excellent coaching staff to support our Middle School athletes in their academic and athletic endeavors. Before the season begins, we would like to establish a few expectations we have for our “Patriot Athletes.” These guidelines are in place to ensure that the season is successful and enjoyable for everyone!
Our students are committing to the following:
- Athletes are expected to attend all practices and games. Please inform the coach at the beginning of the season of any pre-existing conflicts. This valuable communication enables the coaching staff to plan accordingly and are not surprised by last minute changes. Additionally, we do understand that things come up (sickness, injury, family emergencies, etc.) and will work in partnership with you to support your family and athlete.
- Students are ineligible for athletic competition if they earn 2 Ds or an F in their overall grades. Grade checks are conducted weekly. The Athletic Director and coaches will work together to provide the student support to fall within academic guidelines. If a student does not rectify the deficiency, the student will be deemed ineligible until the grade improves and the work is turned in to the appropriate teacher.
- Maintaining a positive, respectful attitude with coaches.
- Maintaining a positive, supportive attitude during games.
- Maintaining a “team” attitude and helping take care of equipment and facilities; picking up after practices and games.
- Traveling by bus with the team to away games is required. Athletes are to ride with the team from our school to their competitions. However, athletes may ride home with parents after a competition providing a parent signs out with the appropriate coach. All students must be accounted for and may not leave a game or facility without expressed permission of both parent and coach. Please contact a coach with any questions in advance.
- Having fun!!!
Overall, the goal of our Middle School athletic program at LPMS is to provide a safe environment for students to try new things, learn what it means to be committed to a team, and grow in their athletic knowledge and experience!
In addition to the 7th and 8th grade IS teams, LPMS is extremely fortunate to be partnering with our Tri-Lakes YMCA to host our Intramural (IM) sports teams. The YMCA IM program is being led by Kristen Ellis. We have worked in partnership with the YMCA for three years and they have knowledgeable coaches and great staff. We are confident that whether on IM or IS, this season will be a great experience for all of our athletes! IM practices run Mondays and Wednesdays at the YMCA from 3:00-4:15. LPMS will provide transportation to the YMCA on Mondays and Wednesdays. Students who are attending practice at the YMCA are required to sign up in the office on Mondays and Wednesdays for accurate attendance. They are also required to have a gym lock (must be removed after each practice) and will be able to change into athletic wear at the YMCA facility. Parents are expected to pick up their IM athlete at 4:30 at the YMCA. IM Games will be held on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the big gym at LPMS from 6-8pm.
Student-athletes must dress in school appropriate clothing at practices. Student-athletes need to be picked up promptly at the times indicated on the appropriate athletic calendar.
Parents, please feel free to communicate with your athlete’s coach with any questions or concerns throughout the season. Additionally, you may contact Coach Olgren or Coach Bainer with any comments or issues you may have. We both look forward to a wonderful season with you all!
Head Coach for 7th Grade LPMS Boys’ Basketball