Phone: (719) 757-1687
Degrees and Certifications:
Mrs. Kelly Blake
Hello, my name is Kelly Blake, and I am thrilled to be teaching art at Bear Creek Elementary School. This will be my 7th year teaching art for the Lewis-Palmer School District; previously, I taught at Palmer Lake Elementary. Prior to joining LPSD, I taught art at Larkspur Elementary in Douglas County. I am also an art instructor at Bemis School of Art at Colorado College. I absolutely love teaching art, and I look forward to inspiring the young artists of Bear Creek Elementary!
The best way to reach me is by email.
20 Reasons Why Art is Important for Children
1) Art stimulates both sides of the brain.
2) 33% of kids are visual learners.
3) There are studies that show that kids who make art, read better and get better grades in science and mathematics.
4) The kids learn by using their senses and art is ideal in this process.
5) The kids need a place to express themselves at school.
6) Art promotes self esteem.
7) Art encourages kids to give more attention to the physical space that surrounds them.
8) Art develops hand-eye coordination.
9) Art stimulates perception.
10) Art teaches them to think openly.
11) Art teaches that there is more than one solution for a problem.
12) Art teaches kids to think creatively to solve problems.
13) Kids can share and reflect on their work of art and learn something about the world they live in.
14) When art is integrated with the other subjects in the curriculum, kids commit more to the learning process.
15) In the process of doing art, the child is exposed to different possibilities, to discover and to freedom, this way they avoid falling into the control and predictability of the conventional education in the United States of today.
16) Art nourishes the human soul. One feels good doing it!
17) Art brings the cultural resources of the community into the class.
18) Art involves parents and tutors in the school, inviting them to participate as volunteers in diverse activities.
19) Art provides a common ground across racial stereotypes, barriers and prejudices.
20) Art is valuable all by itself!
-via the Museum of Children's Art in Oakland