Online Research Tools & Tips
NoodleTools requires a login. Use your Google account information or see the Librarian.
TIPS for MLA-STYLE WORKS CITED
(From MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers, by Joseph Gibaldi, 7th ed.)
- Works Cited heading is centered at top of page
- Choose a standard, easily readable typeface (e.g. Times New Roman) and type size (11 or 12 point).
- Italics or underlining may be used for titles; but italics is preferred. Be consistent!
- If several publication cities are listed, use the first one. Do not include state if city is well-known (i.e. Chicago, New York). City & state names are not required for online sources.
- Date information:
- Abbreviate all months except May, June, and July. Do NOT use month number!
- MLA format for dates is DD Month YYYY.
- Online (Internet) sources - you MUST include the following!!
- If the citation maker gives "N.d." ("no date") or "N.p." ("no publisher") in the citation, you MUST find & insert the missing information - date and/or publisher!
- The most recent date of publication AND the date when you accessed the site must both be given
- Author AND/OR Organization name must be included
- URL (web address) is NOT used unless required by your teacher, in which case the short version is used (stop at .com, .edu, etc.)