English 3 (American Literature)
English 3 studies grammar, language usage, poetry, short stories, poetry, nonfiction, and novels with a concentration on American authors. Each section of study includes composition, vocabulary development, and literary analysis. Students must register for both A & B classes. Dual Enrollment course number is 30526-DE and 30527-DE.
4/6 ANNOUNCEMENT: Here are some reminders for the week:
(1) If you did not complete the essay on the Harlem Renaissance, you need to type it up and upload it to turnitin.com. This category is the last on the page. These were due last Friday; I need to receive them no later than this Friday for partial credit.
(2) If you have not completed your speech for the Harlem Renaissance, please send me an e-mail, and I will assign you a time from 11 AM - 12:30 PM for Tuesday, April 7. I can also set up times between 1 and 3. Please communicate and let me know what works for you. We need to finish these up by the end of this week. I will be sending out another e-mail to these people tomorrow morning with a link to Zoom.
(3) I have uploaded a sample Gatsby argument paper. Please take the time to look it over and compare with your graded paper.
(4) Compare and Contrast Motif essays over the novels are due by Friday at midnight of this week.
(5) We will begin the final unit next week (literature over WWII and Vietnam).
(6) I have posted the final exam essay assignment. The rough draft is due May 5.
4/1 ANNOUNCEMENT: I still haven't heard from many of you. Please send me an e-mail so that I know that you are aware of your assignments. Here are some reminders for the week:
(1) If you did not complete the essay on the Harlem Renaissance, you need to type it up and upload it to turnitin.com. This category is the last on the page. I need these by the end of the week.
(2) If you did not complete the 1st book test quiz, I sent you a copy of the test this past Monday. I need you to complete it and turn in your answers to me by the end of this week.
(3) If you have not completed your speech for the Harlem Renaissance, I would like for you to figure out a time this week or next for us to create a meeting through Zoom. I would like to set students up with specific times between 11 AM - 12 PM to give their speeches. Please communicate and let me know what works for you. We need to finish these up by the end of next week.
Next week (if I am able to get back into the building on Monday) I will scan and send each of you your graded Harlem Renaissance papers. I also will upload a sample argument Gatsby paper and sample Harlem Renaissance paper so you can see what I was looking for when grading your papers. If you present speeches to me this week, I will scan the graded rubric and send it to you on Monday as well. I am going to put off the next unit for another week. I want you to focus on your compare/contrast paper next week. In addition, I am going to assign the final exam paper next week so you can start thinking about that.
3/30 ANNOUNCEMENT: For your remote learning this week, you will have one main thing to work on unless you have late assignments or missing work to complete. When you have assignments due, you may send me these items any time during the week, but they are due by 3:00 on Friday of the week. Next week, we will begin our next unit on studying literature of WWII and the Vietnam wars.
(1) Finish reading your book and work on your compare/contrast essay. This is over a motif that you are comparing between The Great Gatsby and your chosen novel. This is due through turnitin.com by midnight on 4/10.
The following are late or missing items?
(2) If you did not complete the essay on the Harlem Renaissance, you need to type it up and send it to me by the end of the week.
(3) If you have not completed your speech for the Harlem Renaissance, I would like for you to figure out a time this week if possible for us to create a meeting through Zoom. Through this medium, you will conduct your speech for me.
3/27 ANNOUNCEMENT: I have updated the calendar for the remainder of the school year. If we do not go back to school on 4/20, it will be changed and updated again. On 3/30 I will be uploading the assignments for the week of 3/30 - 4/3. For the next three weeks, I will post assignments at the beginning of the week, and the assignments will be due by Friday of that week. I will be entering grades for the speeches next week. If you haven't conducted your speech, let's try to think of a way for you to film yourself and send it to me.