Summary of Choice Enrollment Policy
District 38 Residents: When a choice enrollment application is approved, the requested school becomes the child's assigned school. As long as there is room in the school and grade, the student will be advanced each year. As a result, the student is ineligible for any other transfer(s) for the remainder of the academic level (elementary, middle, or high), including the neighborhood school, without submitting a Choice Enrollment or Appeal application.
Non-District 38 Residents: Students who reside outside of the boundaries of Lewis-Palmer School District are approved on a year-to-year basis to remain enrolled. A new choice enrollment application is required when transitioning to middle school or to high school.
Family Moves: Students who move out of the school boundary during the school year, including moves outside of the district, may either remain at the school in which they started or transition to their new neighborhood school. For follow-on school years, if the student wishes to continue at the same school after moving out of the neighborhood boundary, they must submit a Choice Enrollment or Appeal application.
Limitations: Choice enrollment may be limited by the space available, staffing, and program capacity at each school. In situations where there are more applicants than openings, consideration will be given to applicants in the following order:
- LPSD 38 resident students with a sibling who is currently attending the requested school and who will attend that school the following year.
- All other LPSD 38 resident students and students of district employees.
- Non-resident students with a sibling who is currently attending the requested school and who will attend that school the following year.
- Non-resident students with a sibling who is currently attending any other school in Lewis-Palmer School District 38.
- All other non-resident students.
(Monument Academy policies differ)
Special Needs: Students who are assigned to a school other than their neighborhood school due to special needs do not need to apply, but the siblings of special needs students who wish to attend a non-neighborhood school are required to submit an application.