Negotiations for Girls
Negotiations for Girls will meet two Thursdays after school: October 5th and 12th, from 4:00-5:30pm, in Mrs. Saccuman's classroom (#250) in the Bighorn Sheep House. Students should plan to attend both sessions. Parents are welcome to observe some or all of the sessions.
Why Do We Need To Teach Girls To Negotiate?
- Despite earning better grades and more graduate degrees, women are consistently paid less than men.
- One major reason for the gender pay gap is that women have not been as likely to negotiate their salaries as men, historically speaking.
- Researchers estimate that not negotiating pay for their first job after high school or college can cost a person $500,000 or more over their career.
- Teaching women to negotiate is one way to help address this issue, and starting at a young age has been identified as a critical step.
- Learning to negotiate can also help girls have better health and safety outcomes as well.