The school building at 66 Jefferson Street has served all grade levels and many special programs since it opened. It was originally built in 1957 as Lewis-Palmer High School, then housed middle school grades, and was later transitioned to an elementary school. It was named after Grace Best, a former first grade teacher and local children's book author, in 1985. The elementary school was relocated in 2010 as a cost-cutting measure in response to receding student enrollment and State budget cutbacks. The reconfiguration also prevented the need for extensive asbestos abatement in a portion of the structure. The asbestos has been isolated and presents no health risk to staff or to the public.
The building is still used extensively, year-round. Student activities take place in the newer section of the structure, where asbestos is not a concern.